Solid final GP3 test in mixed conditions at Silverstone
Friday, 13 April 2012 23:23

The final two day test before the start of the GP3 season was at the rainy Silverstone circuit. Maxim Zimin missed the first day of running, but he was set to get into the action at the second day.
As expected the conditions were very poor, but Max started on a high by leading the time sheets during the first hour before making a mistake which prevented him from using his new set of tires at the end of the session when conditions were at their best.
For the afternoon session his Jenzer Motorsport run car was fully prepared for Max to give it one final go before the start of the season.

During this session Max had limited amount of dry tires because he was starting from the second day of testing, so he had no old tires from the previous day to use. Never the less, he managed to put a respectable performance and finished 11th at the end of the afternoon session which proved to be the fastest overall session from the whole test.

Maxim Zimin:
It was a good day of testing. I’m glad I managed to get some laps in both wet and dry conditions at Silverstone and I showed good pace in both conditions. In the morning it was very tricky with a lot of standing water, so mistakes can happen. But overall I had very good pace when it was wet. Unfortunately for the afternoon I had to use my first set of new slicks right away as it dried out, otherwise I think I could have been further up on the time sheets. At the end, I want to thank Jenzer Motorsport for the opportunity they gave me to take part in this test.

Max ends Barcelona testing on a high note
Tuesday, 13 March 2012 22:46 Zimin got behind the wheel of Jenzer Motorsport’s GP3 car again at the second GP3 winter test at Barcelona. He needed some time to adapt and along with the team to improve the car handling, but they managed to end the second day afternoon on a high note with 2nd place after some difficulties in the morning.

Max spent the first morning of the 2 day test acclimatizing to the car, because he had missed the previous one. Nevertheless, all went well and Max did 35 laps in which he managed to post the 10th best time , some 0.6 sec. of the pace set by Mitch Evans. In the afternoon session the focus was on improving the car and the lap times got slower as the weather got hotter.

Maxim Zimin:

I’m happy to be back testing. I needed some time to get back the feeling for the car and also there were some changes to the team that I needed to adapt to. So all in all, the day was a good foundation for the last test day.

For the second day Max and the teamwere determined to improve, but during the morning bad luck stroke and Max was twice caught by red flags, both times when he had his new sets of tires. As a result his best time was only good for 14th place in the classification. There was nothing to be done, but this didn’t discourage Max. He kept on pushing and giving his all during the final afternoon. During the whole time he kept on improving his best time and with 10 minutes to go he managed to post the 2nd best time only behind Lotus ART’s Daniel Abt.

Maxim Zimin:

In the morning we still had some issues to improve the car, but more importantly I had some really bad luck. Out of 3 red flags during the session, I was on new set of tires for 2 of them. So it was quite hard to post a competitive time with all these small issues we had. In the afternoon we improved the car and it was a much smoother session, so I’m happy to end at P2 in the final session of this test. Now all the focus is on the next test in one month time.

The next and final winter test for GP3 is on 11-12 April at Silverstone.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Saturday, 24 December 2011 16:10

Max finishes fifth in the last winter test at Jerez
Saturday, 03 December 2011 16:28

GP3 2011 winter testing came to an end at the sunny Jerez de la Frontera circuit in Spain. The track conditions were great for racing during the first day and only around lunch time on the second day rain came out.
During the first day Max and the team concentrated on setup work and learning the track, but still during the morning when the conditions were at their best, Max managed to post the 4th best time, 0.2 sec. from the best overall time for the day.

Maxim Zimin:

All was good in the morning, I was pushing to the limit on most of the lap, but there’s still some more time to be found. In the afternoon I just had red flag on my run with new tires and also we did some experiments with tire pressures, so it wasn’t perfect. But P4 at the end of the day is good.

Track conditions were going to be at their best during the second day of testing, but just before lunch time rain started to fall and the track remained wet for most of the day, only drying out completely at the end of the afternoon session. During the morning session Max recorded the 5th best time of the day and also combined from both days of testing.

Maxim Zimin:

The second test day was positive for me, I did a good job in the morning and then we tested some setup changes for wet conditions. The car seemed to be strong and I am happy to finish the test in 5th overall. During the afternoon it was very, very tricky and we had lots of red flags, because of this we decided to skip the last hour and end winter testing on a positive note!

Max completes Valencia testing in the top 8
Friday, 25 November 2011 13:55

The Southern Spanish track near Valencia was chosen as the host for the second two-day winter test in GP3. The track was damp for the first morning, but then the clouds started to move away for the sun and it dried very quickly. In the morning the drivers didn’t want to risk much and used wet weather tires for much of the session and only put slicks at the end of it. Max was adapting very well to the new car and team at MW Arden and they did some setup work for the wet, before making a run on slicks. Max didn’t have much luck on this run because another driver spun in front of him, but overall the morning was a solid start with the new car and team.
In the afternoon the sun came out strong and the temperatures rose, so the track dried out completely. The best times were achieved on new slicks, but Max and the team still concentrated on adapting the car to his liking.
After a long debrief with the team in the evening, Max followed their instructions through the second day of testing and managed to put a solid performances both in the morning and afternoons without going to the limit. It was expected the track to be at its best in the morning session and Max managed to post the 8th fastest time 0.6 sec off the leader’s pace and in front of both his teammates and continued  to do the same in the afternoon session.
At the end of the tests in the overall classification Max had the 8th fastest overall time from both days of testing, as well as the best time from the MW Arden drivers.

Maxim Zimin:

It was quite hard during the first day to find the gap to do a lap without traffic, because there were lots of new drivers and only in the morning we had at least 6 red flags. The track was quite tricky on the first day, it was very easy to get caught especially on the wet grass. So for me the conditions were never OK and you needed some luck to get a good lap on new slicks without getting caught by yellow or red flags. Then after the afternoon session I had a nice debrief with the team for the second day and I followed their instructions while constantly adapting the car for the conditions. The intention was never to push to 100% of our capabilities and thus I’m happy with both of these test days.

<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 14